Much better picture of her standing! She is such a big girl!
Monday, June 29, 2009
Sunday, June 28, 2009
Tonight Claire mastered standing up completely on her own without anything to pull herself up. She will crawl a little, then stop and stand up. We cheer for her every time, and it makes her laugh and do it again! She can stand for quite a length of time, and even hold things or clap for herself while she stands! I think she'll be taking steps within the next few days... if not tonight! She must have just needed to officially pass the 10 month mark to find her confidence! haha!
Also, here is the picasa album with all of our Hawaii pictures.
Friday, June 26, 2009
Claire is almost there. She can stand unsupported now for brief periods of time, and I'm sure she could manage a few accidental steps if she would try. But she still insists on holding on to at least one of our fingers before attempting anything walking-related. I'd give her a few more weeks before she's toddling around precariously!
Also: My hope is to get more Hawaii pictures up during her nap this morning. That could be soon, as she is starting to put on her grumpy pants!
Saturday, June 20, 2009
We are on day 8 of our Hawaii excursion and loving life! Claire has been an angel. The plane ride was much smoother than I anticipated. We only had to break out the baby crack--I mean baby einstein for the last 45 minutes. She didn't sleep, but she also didn't cry, so it was ok!
Everyone we're staying with here has said repeatedly that Claire is the best baby they have ever met. The first night it was a bit rough for Claire to adjust to the time difference and the unfamiliar sleeping arrangements, and she cried a lot. But since then she has been back to her amazing self, smiling and laughing all day, taking 2 2-hour naps and sleeping 10-12 hours at night! I love this kid! Here are a few pictures:
Claire loved going hiking. She didn't fuss for the entire 3 hours spent strapped to Kevin's back!
Jungle hiking with the Bringards!
The view from the patio where we are staying. AMAZING!
Now this is the life!
Thursday, June 11, 2009
In no particular order, here are some of the most recent pictures of Claire from the last few weeks:
Her balance is getting very good. She stood completely unsupported yesterday for about 10 seconds before falling back on her rear. Here, she is leaning on the edge of the box while making a phone call.
Claire's Great Uncle Ray came by for a visit on Tuesday. She was quite taken with him. The fact that he's got to be around 6'5'' with a beard the likes of which she has never seen before didn't daunt her for a second!
Here you can see her teeth (well, 1/2 of 1 and 1/4 of the other... so does that make 3/4 of her two bottom teeth? haha)
Very proud grandparents
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
So, it has been forever since my last post. Sorry about that. Things have been a little busy, and lots has happened!
1. We dedicated Claire at church. Dedication is essentially a public declaration of our intention to raise her to know the Lord and to ask the church body to pray for her journey and ours. We chose a life verse for her and during the ceremony were able to pray it over her along with the church elders as a blessing. This is our prayer of blessing for Claire taken from the Living Translation of Philippians 1:9-11:
"Our prayer for you is that you will overflow more and more with love for others, growing in spiritual knowledge and insight. We want you to always see clearly the difference between right and wrong, and to be pure of heart until our Lord returns. May you always do those good, kind things which show that you are a child of God to his praise and glory. Amen."
It was a powerful experience to release control of Claire's life into the care of the Lord. I think that the journey as a parent will require us to remember this experience many times. I have some very sweet pictures from the day, but my computer is broken right now (dropped one too many times), so I'll have to wait until I can retrieve the data.
Claire has grown up quite a bit in the last few weeks.
- She has her two bottom teeth, and from the state of her attitude lately, may be working on the tops ones!
- She loves to walk while you hold her hands now, and cruises around the furniture.
- She says "haaai! (hi) to everyone we meet during our walks.
- She loves to spontaneously give kisses, especially to Daddy. They are always open-mouth!
- She dances any time she hears music
- She signs all done, more, milk, doggie, and bird (although a lot of these look the same!)
- She loves to swim, and struggles to get out of my hold and do it herself. She can propel herself under water with a very strong frog kick if I let go, but can't hold her breath for any length of time, and has no idea how to come up for air (so I almost never let her go because the result is lungs full of water. But even that doesn't slow her down!)
- If you let her go while she is standing up, she can balance enough to squat down to the ground before falling back to her butt.
- She can now climb down the living room step without falling on her head.
- She knows there are places she is not suppose to play--like the fireplace-- and sometimes climbs on it and says "ah ah ah" mimicking my warning. It's nice to have a baby that tells on herself, makes it much easier to keep tabs on her!
- She likes to eat the dirt out of the house plant. Terrible!
- She has quite the little attitude these days! She has this angry scream that she does when she is irritated... drives me crazy!
We leave for Hawaii on Saturday. It will be our first plane ride since Claire has become so active. I'm very afraid of what she has in store for us! I am already making lists of what I will need, and asking for advice on how to keep her happy for the very long 6 hours! She screams if her movement is restricted for 6 seconds... Pray for us! Despite the plane ride, I am looking forward to Hawaii (of course!). I know Claire will have a great time. She is such a happy little one most of the time, she has fun wherever she goes. And I am ready to soak in the tropical sun!
I'll post next time with photos of our trip!